When warm weather arrives, nothing beats the refreshing taste of a salad.
When warm weather arrives, nothing beats the refreshing taste of a salad. Salads are quick and extremely healthy. Best of all, they’re the type of meal that requires little to no cooking . In just a few minutes, you can prepare a meal that your family will love.
Obviously, the most popular salad choice is a lettuce based salad. Just because this choice is so obvious doesn’t mean that the taste has to be boring. There are several ways to spice up a classic salad. With just a few unexpected ingredients, you can turn a classic meal into something new.
*A Vision of Fall Salad*
During the warm summer months, it’s nice to sit back and think about the weather of fall. What better way to that than to create a salad that includes classic fall flavors?
- 8 cups of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 cups of green apples, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of roasted turkey breast, cubed
- 1 cup of dried cranberries
- 1 cup of cinnamon sugar pecans, coarsely chopped
- 8 tablespoons of orange vinaigrette
1. Layer the romaine lettuce, sliced apples, turkey breast, cranberries, and pecans on four plates.
2. Measure the salad dressing into small cups and place on the side of the salad.
3. Serve with whole wheat rolls.
Tip: You can roast a boneless turkey breast the night before, you can use leftover turkey, or you can even visit the deli and have them cut thick pieces of turkey luncheon meat.
While lettuce based salads may be the most popular choice, they aren’t the only choice available. Many people enjoy pasta salad as a side dish, but why not make it into the main course? You can even prepare this meal the night before so that it’s ready when you get home the next day.
*Chicken with a Bowtie Salad*
Your children will love this recipe simply because it has a fun name. You’ll love this salad because it’s a great way to sneak vegetables into their diet.
- 4 cups of dry whole wheat bowtie pasta
- 12 ounces of refrigerated southwestern chicken strips
- 2 cups of grape tomatoes
- 1 cup of yellow bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 cup of low-fat ranch dressing
1. Prepare the bowtie pasta according to the package directions and let cool.
2. In a large bowl, combine the bowtie pasta with the rest of the ingredients.
3. Refrigerate for at least two hour
4. Serve with cornbread muffins or garlic bread.
When preparing a salad for supper, why not round out the meal with quick and healthy fruit salad?
Creamy Berry Salad
Your kids won’t mind having fruit for dessert when you doll it up a bit.
- 1 cup of strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup of blackberries
- 1 cup of raspberries
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 2 cup of fat-free vanilla yogurt and honey, to taste.
1. Combine the berries and place in four bowls.
2. Drizzle with yogurt and honey.
Happy warm weather eating!
If you have any recipes ideas, improvements, suggestions, please comment below and let us know! Let us in on some of your secret recipes!