Cooler weather makes you crave hearty meals. This is one time you won’t find what you’re looking for in a fast food restaurant. Instead, you need to spend a few minutes in the kitchen. You don’t have to slave over a stove to prepare a hearty meal. Best of all, you don’t have to slip into those elastic waistband pants to enjoy a hearty meal. There are several hearty meals that are actually good for you.
20 Minute Beef and Vegetable Soup
Serves 4 to 6
1 pound 93-percent lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
4 cans of reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup
4 cans of water (use the soup cans)
2 to 3 cups of frozen mixed vegetables, depending on the thickness you prefer
1. Brown ground beef with onions until the ground beef is cooked through and onions are translucent.
2. Stir in the tomato soup, water, and frozen vegetables.
3. Cook until heated through.
4. Serve with side salad and whole wheat rolls.
Cheesy Chicken with Broccoli
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup
1/3 can of milk (use soup can)
4 ounces of 2-percent shredded cheddar cheese
Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
2 cups of frozen broccoli, thawed
4 cups of cooked brown rice
1. Bake chicken in a deep pan at 425 degrees until cooked through, about 30 minutes.
2. In the meantime, combine the soup, milk, cheese and pepper in a large bowl.
3. Add the broccoli to the soup mixture and pour over the cooked chicken.
4. Bake for another 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
5. Serve over top brown rice.
Tip: Microwavable rice saves time and dirty dishes.
Hearty meals don’t have to be loaded with fat and calories. They also don’t have to take hours to cook. Even on a Monday night, you can have a hearty meal that you can feel good about serving to your children. Best of all, you didn’t have to grab your wallet and head for the drive thru.