Squats and lunges are among the most powerful moves you can do for getting in shape fast, but only some of us actually get around to including these exercises into the weekly routine. Squats and lunges give your glutes and thighs a killer workout, and they can be performed without any special equipment. Whether your goal is to tone up your legs or strengthen your hamstring muscles, you'll need to do a series of squats and lunges each and every week. Make sure you're performing both of these essential exercises properly by following these tips:
1. Keep feet shoulder-width apart at all times. Whether you're doing a basic squat without weights or going with the gold by holding heavy weights by your side, you will get the best results when your feet stay shoulder-width apart.
2. Breathe in as you rise up, and exhale as you descend. This might feel awkward at first but a little practice is all you need. Pay attention to your breathing pattern so you are giving your body enough oxygen at just the right time.
3. Hold your squat position for more than a few seconds. Squats are among the hardest types of resistance exercises to perform, but you need to hold your squat position for several seconds in order to get the most benefits. Count between 4 to 8 seconds in your head when you can.
1. Use weights if you don't feel any resistance. Too many people perform lunges that aren't really challenging their muscles. Add handweights to the routine to give your lower body a real workout.
2. Don't bend your knee beyond your ankle. Proper form is essential for a successful lunge, so don't make the mistake of letting your knees bend beyond your ankle as you take the deep step.
3. Exhale on the lunge. Check your breathing pattern so that you are exhaling and inhaling at the right times.
And of course, don't forget to stay well-hydrated throughout your resistance routine. Even though you might not be sweating up a storm during these exercise sessions, you will need to keep your muscles hydrated through each exercise. Just fill up a water bottle before you begin and sip it throughout your routine to supercharge your workout!