Taking the kids on a fun picnic at the park is a great way to spend some precious quality time with them. There’s just something about eating outside underneath blue skies and green trees that brings out the kid in all of us. The first thing to remember when planning a picnic with your little ones is to make sure they’re dressed in comfy clothes that they can move around in. Don’t forget to slip them into some comfy shoes, preferably ones with hook-and-loop closures so you don’t have to mess with shoelaces all day while they run around on the grass.
Here are five more handy little tips to make the most out of your fun family picnic:
1. Picnic Food: Pack food in plastic containers with lids or cover with plastic wrap or foil to keep them from spoiling and protect them from bugs. Keep food away from direct sunlight and remember that certain foods like mayonnaise and eggs can spoil easily and cause food poisoning if they sit too long.
2. Clothing: Pack a change of clothes for your little ones in case they get food or dirt on them. Cotton garments are best because they’re more breathable.
3. Toys and Games: Bring their favorite outside toys to keep them occupied after lunch. Board games are also fun to play as a family during picnics.
4. Safety First: Keep a first aid kit in the car just in case the kids get scrapes and cuts. Of course, sunscreen is a must to keep their skin safe from the sun. Kid-friendly bug repellent is also a good idea to keep them protected.
5. Cleanup: Bring a roll of paper towel, a trash bag and antibacterial wet wipes to make cleanup a breeze.