Gnomeo and Juliet, what a fun play on Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, is a new movie about to hit the big screen. It’s all about Gnomeo and his sweetheart, Juliet. As with the original story, these gnomes find that their love is destined for trouble given the neighboring feud between the red and blue hat gnomes. Alas, this is a garden adventure of a lifetime for these gnomes. What a fun movie for the kids and a fun party to spice up a typical garden party theme. I always thought those gnomes would make darling characters and, no doubt, this movie is ready to take you for a ride.
1. Send out red hat and blue hat Gnome Invitations, inviting your party guests to have a Gnome Good Time! Use red and blue heavy card stock cut out into hat shapes with the party details on one side. Have the birthday child decorate the gnome hats.
2. The colors are blue and red all over the party area, including balloons, streamers, and tableware. Of course, this is the perfect party to host outdoors in your own gnome garden! Make sure to have gnomes decorating the garden area too.
3. When the children arrive, have red and blue felt hats set out for the kids to decorate and wear during the party. Make sure there are equal numbers of blue and red hats so you can later the divide the kids into teams.
4. Play Hide and Seek the Gnome. Simply hide your gnomes and give the kids a minute to find them.
5. Lawnmower Races. Set out two child lawnmowers and divide the kids into two teams based on their hats. Have the kids race their lawnmowers from one end and back again until all team members have completed a turn. First team done wins!
6. Set up a series of Gnome obstacles for the kids to do in the yard. Cartwheels, jumping jacks, jump rope, somersaults, etc. would all be fun and have the kids act like gnomes as they complete their obstacles.
7. Play Follow The Gnome, just like Follow the Leader.
8. Set up a Gnome Buffet for the kids to enjoy. Fill white cones full of red and blue treats: berries with whipped cream, flavored popcorn, and blue and red nacho chips. Red and blue flavored juices and punch would be a great choice for Gnome juice. Finally, serve cupcakes frosted red and blue for a feuding gnome treat!
10. Gnomeo and Juliet would make a great movie birthday outing with a few friends too. I still suggest wearing gnome hats to the theater for added fun!