Travel smart. Left-Right: Rimowa Salsa Deluxe-Cabin 22" Multiwheel, Bric's USA Life-21" Carry-on Rolling Duffel, Tumi T-Tech Presidio,Victorinox Architecture Security-Friendly Laptop Backpack
Packing for a trip, whether it 's a quick weekend getaway or a week-long vacation, calls for a bit of organization and planning. A lot of people tend to overpack for trips and end up having to pay for that extra weight at check in. The mantra for easier travel is to pack light. Easier said than done right? Well, here are some handy packing tips and tricks to make sure you don’t end up packing everything but the kitchen sink:
1. Make a list and check it twice: Jotting down what to pack before you start packing will keep you organized and focused, not to mention prevent you from forgetting the essentials!
2. Check before you pack: Cut down on bulky items such as hairdryers, beach towels and robes by checking with your hotel or wherever you’re staying to see if they have these items available for you to use.
3. Roll it up! : You’ll be amazed how much less space clothes take up in a suitcase when you roll them tightly rather than folding and stacking. Another great space-saving method is using one of those vacuum seal bags. This also helps you separate your clothing (e.g. tops, bottoms, layering pieces etc.)
4. Check the weather forecast: Only pack clothing you will actually use. This sounds like a no-brainer, but it’s really important if you’re aiming to pack lighter. If you bring a jacket, don’t pack it, wear it in the plane. As for shoes, keep it to two pairs; wear one and pack one. For trips over one week, plan to wash your clothes rather than packing for every single day.
5. Two words: travel-sized: Downsize your toiletries whenever possible. We’re talking travel-sized toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner and anything else that comes in 3.4 oz. (100mL) or smaller. You can also get empty travel-sized toiletry bottles that you can fill with your favorite products.