Every April since 1839, the Friday before the Crabbies Grand National at the Aintree Racecourse near Liverpool, England becomes the fabulous celebration of style known as the Aintree Ladies Day. This early spring day is dedicated to three things: horseracing, fashion, and fun --much like our own Kentucky Derby in May, but much more fun and carefree than the more formal races at Ascot.
Ladies from Liverpool and beyond flock to the races in amazing dresses and hats to watch the races and compete in the Aintree Ladies Day Style Contest that nets the winner a new car and a few thousand pounds in prize money.
What's not to love about an excuse to get dressed up and feel feminine and fancy? Spring’s cheerful palettes and soft fabrics combine with great lines and on-point trends in this collection of plus size dresses inspired by the well-dressed ladies of Aintree.
Bright, tropical colors, modern florals and crisp whites were the themes of the day. Even the gentlemen dressed to match in bright, bold and whimsical prints. Hemlines ran the gamut, but the number one accessory was a great smile as women celebrated a day out with friends.
There are only 16 days left until the Kentucky Derby! I hope the gorgeous dresses below inspire you to gather some good friends, maybe even a mint julep, for our own American celebration of style and horseracing with great dresses and of course, fabulous hats!
1. Donna Morgan Plus Size Julie Chiffon Dress
2. Poppy & Bloom Plus Size On The Boardwalk Dress
3. Fresh Produce Plus Size Sunburst Dress
4. Mynt 1792 Plus Size Seamed Sheath Dress
5. Mynt 1792 Plus Size Wrap Maxi Dress
6. Karen Kane Plus Size Funny Dot Cascade Wrap Dress
7. Alejandra Sky Plus Size Juissa Maxi Dress
8. BB Dakota Plus Size Hilary Dress
9. Rachel Pally Plus Spaghetti Wrap Dress
10. Calvin Klein Plus Fit & Flate Slim Pleat
11. Calvin Klein Plus Scalope Eyelet Dress
12. Adrianna Papell Plus Size Photoreal Fit & Flare Dress
If you choose one of the great dresses featured here on Well Rounded Wednesday, please tag us in your photos on Twitter and Instagram using #WRW- we would LOVE to see your style!
SHOP PLUS SIZE CLOTHING >>
SHOP PLUS SIZE DRESSES >>