L-R: Reebok EasyTone S/S Top, CamelBak Better Bottle Insulated 6L ,Ecco Performance Tao
It seems like every five seconds we’re inundated by commercials and pop up ads promising the ultimate secret to a thinner, leaner, healthier you. “Lose 10 pounds in 10 minutes!”, “Eat cookies, lose weight!”…the promises go on and on.
Being healthy for the long haul really takes lifestyle changes. They don’t always have to be drastic ones either; there are lots of small yet impactful habits that you can incorporate into your life that will help you on your goal to becoming healthier. Here are just a few simple ones to try:
1. Walk the walk: Don’t take shortcuts; take the stairs instead of the elevator, park farther in the parking lot, take a brisk 30-minute walk in the evenings. Got a dog? Make the most of those daily walks by adding ankle weights and wearing performance walking shoes with specialized outsoles to work more key muscles. Ones to try are Skechers Shape Ups, Reebok EasyTone and Ecco Performance Tao.
2. Drink lots of water: This one may seem obvious, but a lot of people don’t drink enough water. Try breaking up your day in segments: wake up time to noon, noon to 4 p.m., 4 p.m. to bedtime; aim for three 8-ounce glasses per time segment to get the optimum hydration. Water is also the ultimate detoxifier and is essential in every bodily function.
3. Don’t skip breakfast: They don’t call it “the most important meal of the day” for nothing! Nearly 40 percent of women admit to skipping breakfast. This can cause you to make poor lunch choices and wreak havoc on your metabolism. Opt for fiber-rich, protein-rich options like granola bar with nuts, peanut butter and banana, nonfat Greek yogurt or a low-sugar ceral. Soy or almond milk are also great breakfast drinks if you’re in a hurry.
4. Get your zzzs!: Sleep is a very essential part of a healthy, balanced life. While there is no real “magic number” to how many hours of sleep each individual needs, on average, a normal adult needs anywhere from 7-9 hours of restful sleep every night. Creating a relaxing nighttime ritual like a candlelit bath, soothing music or meditation before bedtime will help ease your mind and body into sleep mode.
5. Snack healthy: Keep healthy options such as fresh fruit, nuts, and low-fat yogurt close at hand. Almonds are also a great way to fill you up in between meals. They’re high in protein and low in saturated fat, plus they’re easy to stow in your bag for on-the-go snacking.