With the holiday season right around the corner, it might soon be time to invite friends and family over for grand celebrations. Is the guest room in need of a quick makeover for the season? Here are some tips for decorating the guest room so that your guests will feel right at home as they make their holiday rounds:
1. Dust the room from top to bottom. When a room isn't used on a regular basis, dust can settle easily in the blinds, on the dressers, and even on the doors. Do a once over with a feather duster and consider running a damp cloth across all furniture to freshen up the place.
2. Invest in a quality mattress. You don't want to leave your guests tossing and turning at night when you invite them over, so make sure they enjoy a comfortable night's stay with a quality mattress. Strapped for cash this season? Invest in an air mattress instead, and add a featherbox mattress on top for extra comfort.
3. Empty all dressers and closets. If you've been using the guest room as a storage room all year, you'll need to make sure it's guest-ready by creating more space. Empty out all of the dressers and closets, and consider investing in some storage totes so that you can put everything back in its place easily when your guests leave.
4. Make things cozy with pillows and throws. Add some soft pillows and throws in fall or holiday colors to warm up the room and make it more inviting. An empty, drab room can be transformed instantly with a few simple decorative pieces, and will help your guests relax after their long trip.
5. Check the lighting. Make sure all lamps and lighting fixtures are working properly, and test the lighting to make sure it's creating a soothing, relaxing effect at night. Your guests will thank you.
6. Add a welcome gift. From a small vase of flowers to a tray of homemade baked goods, welcome your guests to their room with a small token of appreciation. It's a small touch that is sure to please any weary traveler this holiday season!