Staying stylish and fashionable throughout a pregnancy often takes a backseat for many moms-to-be, simply because they’re dealing with so many changes, higher stress levels, and juggling a busy schedule. However, you don’t have to turn into a fashion victim just because you’re expecting. Some careful shopping decisions and building up a basics wardrobe can help you get through those nine months staying chic and stylish. Here are some essential fashion tips for staying stylish during every trimester:
1. Stick with soft and natural fabrics. From organic cotton to light wool blends, stick with the soft fabrics that won’t irritate your skin, and designs that aren’t too form-fitting. These will put you at ease throughout your days of pregnancy, and a few bold colors and fun prints will help you stay fashionable.
2. Buy your actual size from the maternity department. Many women make the mistake of buying clothes from the regular Misses or Women’s department, and just going a few sizes bigger. Your growing figure won’t benefit from the extra material, and you’ll end up hiding beneath a tent in most cases! Head to the maternity department so that you’re buying your usual dress size designed with some minor tweaks.
3. Avoid the empire waist until your second trimester. Contrary to popular belief, the empire waistline will accentuate the tummy area so it won’t be flattering to your figure until you’re ready to flaunt the baby bump. Stick with loose and flowing styles that elongate your figure and accentuate your natural waistline during your first trimester, then shift over to empire lines as the baby bump begins to show.
4. Buy a maternity bra for overnight use. If you’re large-chested, you will need some extra support overnight. Purchase a maternity bra that you can comfortably wear overnight so you can look forward to a restful night throughout your term.
5. Build up your bottoms basics. Jeans, tailored black pants and a simple skirt are three basics you need to get through your pregnancy days. Make sure they’re from the maternity department so you have the flexibility of an adjustable waist.
Staying stylish throughout your pregnancy may not be at the top of your priority list, but building your wardrobe doesn’t have to be an overwhelming process. Stick with these essential fashion ‘dos’ so you can be chic and fashionable through every trimester!