Building on their learned experiences since 2009 in closing and staging the Zappos.com Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas Marathon on the famed Las Vegas Strip, Competitor Group has developed a plan with the City of Las Vegas, Clark County and the businesses on The Strip that will accommodate the race’s growing popularity. The Competitor Group is committed to producing a seamless event that results in a world-class runner experience.
Check out the following changes to the 2012 event:
1. Fully Dedicated Marathon Course:
-Longer and earlier closure times of The Strip.
-New start times: 3:00 pm for the Full Marathon and 4:30 pm for the Half Marathon.
-2012 courses will merge together at approximately mile 10.6 (half-marathon) and mile 23.7 (full marathon).
-Marathon-only lane for the last 2.5 miles of the course through fixed barricades, and clear separation between full and half marathon athletes.
2. New, Improved Start Village
-Start Village will now be located at the The Luxor (East side of Las Vegas Blvd between Hacienda and Reno).
- Improved layout offers participants more entrances to access the Start Line on Las Vegas Blvd. This will greatly assist runners locating and entering their designated corrals.
3. New, Mid-Strip Finish Line Location
- New finish line location on Las Vegas Boulevard (near Caesar’s Palace & The Mirage) allows participants will be able to walk back to their respective hotel.
- The total secure zone footprint is increasing from approximately 60,000 square feet to 86,000 square feet.
- Gear Check will be located before exiting the secure zone. Locations will be split to decrease the amount of runner traffic and wait times.
4. Extended Wave Start Timeline
- Wave start in 2012 will increase from 45 minutes to 90 minutes.
- Two to three minutes between corrals will be implemented to ensure appropriate spacing throughout the entire race experience.
5. Increased Security of Corrals
- Increased security managing corral access to ensure participants are starting in their properly assigned corrals.
6. Improved Water Station Service
The study from the Southern Nevada Water Board and the Southern Nevada Health District proved conclusively there was no contamination from the water source used on the course in 2011.
- Additional element of quality assurance to the on-course hydration.
- Partnering with industry expert WaterMonster to deliver potable drinking water and Gatorade.
- Additional strict, visible sanitary requirements will be implemented through volunteers and WaterMonster.
7. Bigger and Better Health & Fitness Expo
- The Health & Fitness Expo will be at the Sands Expo and Convention Center– 50,000+ additional square feet with a separate entrance and exit, to provide more space for all expo visitors.
- Special incentives and prizes offered to participants who visit the Expo on Friday. More detail on this exciting program to come soon!