Hi everyone! My name is Holly Moynahan and I am Zappos’ Sustainability Apprentice (intern) for summer 2015! As part of my sustainability apprenticeship, I got the opportunity to interview a few sustainability rockstars from some of Zappos’ favorite brands. This will be blogged as a series and below is my first interview with Derek Sabori at Volcom. Please read, share, & enjoy!
DS: Besides working for a brand that is committed to the sports and lifestyle I love!? Working with all the different aspects of the business has got to be a close second. I get to have the unique role of working smack-dab in the middle of the action. I report to the CEO, interact with most all the teams here at Volcom, and act as our brand sustainability liaison to Kering’s sustainability team in Paris, France. It’s not too bad…I mean, where else does the sustainability guy get to sit in the commentator’s booth next to a surf legend (a-hem Gerry Lopez) and talk shop during the worldwide webcast of a major surf contest?
Who or what is your biggest source of inspiration?
DS: More and more I’m inspired by what’s left to do. I think sustainability is sort of a never-ending pursuit, and if you’ve got a competitive drive, you’re constantly trying to tackle as much as possible and are always aware that the finish line is this elusive target that feels within reach, but is always just slightly, out of it. So I’m inspired by that challenge. I’m also inspired by the fact that there are people in the company that are passionate about sustainability, changing their own personal lifestyles, and are committed to seeing us through with the sustainability vision we’ve created for ourselves.
What do you do to stay motivated and energized?
DS: I make time for my personal well-being; It’s a priority for me. I surf as often as my schedule will allow it, and do yoga (thanks to some inspiration from our Volcom Wellness Committee) and other strengthening programs all throughout the week. My family life keeps me energized as well – love that crew!
If you could be an animal, what would you be?
DS: A whale shark.
A little bit more about sustainability at Volcom…
Volcom has an Environmental Sustainability program and a Product and Social Safety Program (P.A.S.S.). Volcom is also a part of the Kering Group and follows in suit with their robust sustainability program.
A couple of things to note about sustainability at Volcom:
- Volcom measures its impacts by way of the EP&L (Environmental Profit & Loss)
- Volcom continues to increase the amount of recycled fiber it uses in its products, mostly through the use of Repreve branded fibers.
- Volcom is a Fair Labor Association member (and possibly the first in its industry)
- Thanks to Kering, Volcom’s Scope 1-2 emissions are offset with REDD+ credits, through Wildlife works. The same goes for Volcom’s Sustainable by Design/Deep Blue Surf Events.
- You can almost always find a current community event, or Give Back initiative happening at Volcom.
- Volcom has a strong wellness program at its offices and offers an incentive each month for sustainable living (fun raffle).