Winter closet essentials include a lineup of cardigans and sweaters, and your best picks for the office this season include flyaway cardigans, cropped bolero style sweaters, and the fabulous oversized wrap. Cardigans and sweaters this season are all about ruffles, a loose fit and bold colors. Here are some tips for choosing and wearing cardigans at the office this season:
1. Pull off the elbow-sleeve look. ¾ sleeve cardigans and tops are giving way to the elbow-sleeve length. Pick up a flyaway cardigan or oversized, button down sweater with the elbow length sleeve for a semi-casual, office friendly look.
2. Go for the ruffles. Flyaway ruffle cardigans are one of the hottest trends, but if you work in a semi-conservative office, it can be hard to pull off this look without breaking the dress code. The trick to wearing this style is to choose a neutral color like black, beige or dark brown is always safe and pairing it with a pair of straight leg pants or a pencil skirt completes the ensemble. Keep the rest of your outfit as simple as possible to make the most of this look.
3. Try a twin set. This season's twin sets are great for creating a simple, chic and professional look, and you can add a touch of your own style by wearing a lacy camisole underneath, instead of the traditional shell. If the lace is too much for your office, consider wearing a top with beaded or sequin accents underneath instead.
4. Oversized wrap cardigans. The oversized cardigan that looks like a light jacket or wrap is another hot trend, but you need to wear it with skinny pants or fitted trousers to pull it off right. This is a no-fuss look for the office that will keep you plenty cozy when temperatures drop.
5. Cropped cardigans. Cardigans that double as oversized boleros are great for the office maven with a well-defined waist. Look for yours in a rich burgundy, plum, forest green or black for a fall-friendly look. These types of cardigans are best paired with a pencil skirt or a long tunic top with fitted pants.