Whether you’re meeting with corporate executives in the boardroom or attending a VIP meeting offsite, you’ll need to dress for the occasion. Here are some important tips for putting together your work ensemble for the big day ahead:
1. Head to the tailor. If you plan on wearing an expensive suit or a fancy dress for the meeting, make sure everything fits just right. Head to the tailor to make sure the lengths of the blazer are perfect, and that the dress is of an appropriate length. The small investment will be well worth it, because you’ll feel more confident and relaxed in your outfit when it fits you properly.
2. Stick with the basics. Avoid wearing too many colors and flashy prints, even if it’s just for accessorizing. Maintain a polished and professional look by sticking with neutrals – preferably black and white. You can always accessorize with a colorful scarf or a bold colored bag, but avoid wearing anything that will attract too much attention.
3. Bring out the skinny heels or pumps. Avoid wearing any open-toed shoes or fashion-forward styles with embellishments, fringe or anything that doesn’t fit the ‘classic’ mold. Your best bet for an important meeting is a pair of skinny heels or pumps with a thin heel (no platforms) in black or dark brown, depending on your outfit.
4. Wear a blazer. If you’re not wearing a suit, you should still wear some type of jacket or blazer over your blouse or top to create a more professional look. Make sure this matches perfectly with your skirt or pants, and have it tailored (see #1) to achieve the perfect fit.
5. Accessorize with simple jewelry. A set of pearls, small silver or gold stud earrings, diamond or cubic zirconia bracelets, and other classic pieces of jewelry are the most appropriate selections for the polished, professional business look. Even if you’re used to wearing flashy, oversized and trendy jewelry with your office attire during the week, the VIP meeting calls for something a little more simple and elegant. When in doubt, stick with the basics!
Dressing appropriately for the VIP meeting is just as important as being on time and delivering your best presentation. Take the time to put together the right outfit so you can make a lasting impression!